Patch #2189751 (8.1.7.3) questions

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:46:58 GMT

Just want to know if anyone else has installed this patch. I found that the patch notes instructions are not the clearest, and have you change the init.ora file to disable system triggers on startup, rerun the catalog and catproc scripts, along with several others that seem to be for java if it's installed. But it's not clear if this all has to be done ONLY if java was enabled in the DB or not.

I put this patch in because I noticed that if the OS was shutdown the databases were not brought down automatically as they were supposed to be, and did a crash recovery on startup. This patch is supposed to stop this from happening. (and does)

I installed on a test installation with 2 databases on it, I applied all of the changes on one database, and left the other database alone, started both databases, then restarted the PC without doing manual shutdowns on either of them. Checked the alert logs on startup and both databases started up fine with no crash recovery.

This is on a workstation, and I installed the java component with the initial install, but we have no databases that use java.

I have to install the patch on two production machines, and don't want to touch the databases any more than I have to. However I'm sure re running the oracle scripts is harmless enough, but I want to be sure.

thanks. Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 10:46:58 CDT