Re: Why I too don't like the OCP

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:14:37 GMT

In article <3CCD72F1.B12FA94D_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>"Vladimir M. Zakharychev" wrote:
>
>> Actually, DBA doesn't have to know what rownum is and how it is implemented -
>> DBAs don't deal with it, since it's not stored anywhere in the database and
> shouldn't
>> be either backed up or restored. :)
>>
>> --
>> Vladimir Zakharychev (bob_at_dpsp-yes.com)
> http://www.dpsp-yes.com
>> Dynamic PSP(tm) - the first true RAD toolkit for Oracle-based internet
> applications.
>> All opinions are mine and do not necessarily go in line with those of my
> employer.
>>
>> "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> > "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

>> > My thought for the day.
>> >
>> > So what is rownum and how is it implemented in the oracle database.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Niall Litchfield
>> > Oracle DBA
>> > Audit Commission UK
>> >

>Unless of course they are asked to go to code reviews or to deal with queries
> that don't
>work because they are presumed to be the experts.
>
>I met a DBA asked to solve a problem with a query that looked like this:
>
>SELECT *
>FROM mytable
>WHERE rownum BETWEEN 10 AND 20;
>
>Guess what happened?
>
>Daniel Morgan

Uhhhmmm...
He saw rownum wasn't a column in mytable and tried adding it?

He added "AND rownum IS NOT NULL" to the WHERE clause, " just in case"?

He quit his job, had a sex-change, and became a nun in France?

She was furious that you (you SEXIST PIG!!) automatically assumed that SHE was a "HE"?

She reckoned that rownum is meaningless without the context of a query and its resultset?

Guessing games are FUN! :-) Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 08:14:37 CDT