instr does not work with filenames containing more that 2 '/' s. Any ideas ???

From: Krishna <krishna321_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2002 21:57:43 -0700

Hi,
 I am trying to determine the exact position of the third '/' character in a filename string containing more than 3 three '/' characters, both from the beginning as well as from the end. For some strange reason, the instr function always seems to be returning the value of the 2nd '/', depending on the point of search (beginning of the string or the end of the string).

 For eg :-

select instr('/apps/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/admin/tnsnames.ora','/',3) from dual;

will return the value 6, which should be the same if the value '3' were substitued by '2'.

If searching from the end of the string as in

select instr('/apps/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/admin/tnsnames.ora','/',-3) from dual;

The above instr statement, will always return 41, which should be the same if the '-3' were substituted with '-2'.

 Is this a bug or am I missing something ? Please help !!!

Best Wishes,
krishna. Received on Mon Apr 29 2002 - 23:57:43 CDT