Re: file placement and SAN

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:16:31 GMT

Michael Brown wrote:

> One other thing that I am curious about is your CPU activity. When we
> evaluated a NetApps unit, our CPU usage went up about 25%. This
> raised two concerns with us, scability and Oracle licensing (this was
> in power units days). Do you notice a lot of system (as opposed to
> user) cpu utilization?

No, it's never been an issue with our NAS systems. If there is increased CPU overhead, it hasn't been significant enough to raise any eyebrows.

This could just be an issue of evolving technology making significant gains in a short period of time. We've been using the NetApp product for about a year now, and I know they've made many improvements to their product in that time. Might be worth another look if the rest of the features suit your needs.

Regards,
Sean Received on Mon Apr 29 2002 - 21:16:31 CDT