Re: Anyone use Oracle Simulators (Technology-Based Training CD-ROM)?

From: Howard Rogers <Howard.Rogers_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:20:37 +1000

I'm biased, because as an Instructor, I get paid to make the training room learning experience fun and enjoyable.

But in any case, I found the simulators deeply, deeply boring. I was as likely to have become Pope as to actually have learnt anything about Oracle as a result.

That said, it really all depends on what the people you hope to get trained up using these things are like. Everyone is a bit different: some people like to learn on their own from books; some need the interaction and hands-on approach of Instructor-led training; others can benefit hugely from this TBT stuff. Yet others only need a real database to hack to death with their experiments. I'm firmly in the second camp, and always have been, though the fourth also has its merits. You and your colleagues may be differently-wired, and lap the TBT stuff up.

I think the real point I'd make is that you don't (or shouldn't) buy training on the cheap. You buy what the trainee can best benefit from, and what works best.

Regards