Re: file placement and SAN

From: Michael Brown <mbrown_at_japhi.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:39:34 -0400

Key questions for setting up on SAN:

How many spindles (sounds familiar)?

What size?

How many LUNS are presented back to the host?

How are they laid out on the physical spindles?

What is the stripe depth, i.e. how much data will be written on a spindle before moving to the next disk in the stripe set? db_file_multi_block_read_count should be a fraction of strip depth.

What is the size of a single I/O with the disk? Optimally, your block size will match this. If your block size is larger, will this trigger automatic read ahead?

What RAID level?

What about plaid (software striping over hardware RAID)?

Can you adequately express to your system administrators that storage capacity is not the issue, but that I/O capacity is the issue? For most databases when you have sufficient spindles and controllers to handle the I/O, you have more space than you need for storage. A single spindle can effectively handle 6-8 read and 1 write request at a time as a general rule of thumb.

If more than one host will be accessing the disk array, what is being done to ensure that only the database server can access the space allocated to it. In other words, your data cannot be accidentally mounted on another server and have newfs run on it (yes, this has happened to me).

How many hosts will be accessing the array? What is the total I/Os per sec that they willl be requesting? How about MB/sec?

Optical fiber is fragile, what is being done to ensure that if someone drops a floor tile on a cable, you do not lose access to the database (Veritas DMP for example)?

It is important to maintain the seperation of redo and archive logs from the datafiles, you should also seperate rollback and temp (in other words all the write intensive stuff). Are sufficient spindles being provided for this?

Cache is not a panecea for database I/O, most requests end up being for random reads. Writes to datafiles rarely can be built up into a full stripe, cache will not undo the RAID 5 penalty (to write a change to a single block, you must read the old parity block and the old data block, then write the new parity and data blocks).

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:07:52 GMT, spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:15:44 +0100, "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>"Ed Stevens" <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote in message
>>> SELECT
>>> feedback,
>>> comments,
>>> experiences,