Re: SQL*plus: join operator error

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2002 13:21:34 -0700

Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:<3CCD3F00.7050404_at_mytoys.de>...
> > The University here uses Oracle 8i
> >
> > So I can only uses join operator with O9i?

Don't get confused. ANSI SQL join operator is oxymoron. Original SQL didn't have
join operator because there is no join operation in relation calculus SQL based
on. There is cartesian restricted by conditions. You just list tables in the from clause of select statement and set up conditions in where clause. If condition
happens to be = between columns of 2 tables, you have a join. So your original
statement will look like:

select dname
from emp e, dept d
where e.deptno = d.deptno