Re: Windows of Unix

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 29 Apr 2002 07:12:38 -0700

"d.t." <davtsv20_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<WwWy8.1540$sh6.205593_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> I recently spoke to a counsellor at a training school about an OCP course.
> He told me that the reason they train on Windows is because most companies
> run Oracle on Windows. That is contrary to what one would find on the web.
>
> Any thoughts?

I do not want to be too harsh, but as I know some "training school" the main reason is that Mr. Quick-became-trainer-knows-nothing doesn't has a clue about Unix and knows him just as old fashioned maybe even ancient operating system with dull text mode without cool pictures on desktop and squinting eyes in taskbar.
Another reason can be that teaching Unix together with Oracle would gave a headache to some attendees and double the costs because of need to run a two week seminar about vi. ;-)

P.S. Funny thing, vi is like smoking, in the first time it's very disgusting, but then it became quickly addictive and you can't live without. This weekend I've tried to run some old DOS computer game, so I've installed MS-DOS 6.2 as fifth operating system on my home PC and I also used a built-in EDIT.EXE editor. It seems very dull to me with some stupid Alt-F + Exit commands and my configuration file was very soon full of :wq as learned habit works perfectly. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.