Re: Autoincrement in Oracle 8.1.7

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:08:46 GMT

By bad app design I am not talking about sequences vs auto increment. I mean in a very general way. Usually there is a bad application design that far outweighs the sequence or autoincriment. I once worked in an environment that was interpreted. The developers would say, "But if we could only do it in C then it would be fast, interpreted is slow." Without fail I could walk into any of their shops and decrease the calculation time by 10x minimum (it was a customized defined benefit system for pension plans) by making minimum code changes (about an hours worth of work) due to bad application design. Yes, in C it would have been faster, but I was able to make some simple changes that really made the whole thing close to C calculation speed. In this instance the database access (the driver part was in C and highly optimized) part of the calculation was by far the slowest part and if you went and read a part of a table 120 times then that was slower than doing it once 1.

Also I wouldn't use ODBC, too slow, I would use native drivers for whatever application I was writing.
Jim