Re: Linguistic indexes and 'order by' won't work...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2002 06:15:49 -0700

In article <aaj5kb$jet$1_at_news.tpi.pl>, "Ariel" says...

>> Do you think NULL values are indexed? Hint: how to distinguish one NULL
>from the other.
>I don't understand properly...
>
>NULL values are not allowed... (not null for create table)
>
>As I early say, I got this example from manual "Setting Up an NLS
>Environment" - "Collation
>> > Parameters" - "Sorting Character Data".
>
>I try to remove NLSSORT(col) IS NOT NULL - but nothing happen.

The database in general WON'T use an index to read the records sorted if it feels it must read most all records (using an index to acccess all/most of the records in a table is highly inefficient).

You started this question with "create table <<<<----- lots of records". I doubt we'll use an index for that.

You can try using FIRST_ROWS or an index hint on this one.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/