Re: Autoincrement in Oracle 8.1.7

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:28:19 -0400

I agree that in a usual application it's not likely to matter that much, but for short and mostly trivial OLTP I bet it's measurable. Your single row insert through ODBC kinda logic the trigger can significantly increase the pathlength even cross compiled to C.
Also keep data load in mind.....
Bad application maybe. But changing that old Sybase/MS application is expensive :-)
As always the backend has dictated the app implementation , so in a migration scenario you won't have any other before trigger logic (because SQL Server doesn't have them).
I think identity and sequences both have their place in the world. Identity already is standardized and sequences are in the works. But I digress...

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau