Re: Oracle Certification

From: Sted Alana <Sted_Alana_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:53:06 GMT

> I work for a company which had annual revenue of just over $400M for 2001.
> A person, regardless of credentials, would NEVER be hired as a DBA
> with less than 3 years previous DBA experience.

I guess it depends on the company, but I agree that experience is essential regardless of credentials. But consider this, would a professor of computer science who had no experience in the industry, god forbid, get the job?

> You do the math. We average just under $2,000,000 in sales per day.
> What does one hour of downtime cost the company?

works out $83333.33/hr

> My SWAG is that one hour of down time costs more than the DBA's
> annual salary. We simply can't afford mistakes due to learning curve.

no guess needed there.

> HTH & YMMV
no, you didnt answer my question.

> HAND!
u 2. Received on Sun Apr 28 2002 - 22:53:06 CDT