Re: Autoincrement in Oracle 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:30:38 +0200

If you want to turn Oracle into Sqlserver this is of course a perfect request.
However, a sequence is not bound to any particular column and any particular table, and this is actually a good thing, as it has it's uses. I'm sure the identity feature is not going to beat the sequence in terms of performance. It has however some advantages for people who don't use Designer, and think that coding a less than 10 line row level trigger is asked too much from them.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA