Re: Oracle 8i or 9i ???

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2002 14:23:59 -0700

In article <aahn67$mg1$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl>, "Andre says...

>Ok, I also much appreciate input from oracle's EMP's, don't misunderstand
>me.
>They are closest to the sources of all. I never worked for marketing or
>sales, I
>worked for Oracle support for five years and I know from experience that
>there's a workaround for almost all of the so called bugs (if not it's a
>P1).
>
>Daniel, Pete and others, please accept my apologies if I didn't recognize
>your honest
>contributions to this NG. I just would like to see my customer use the best
>database
>version that Oracle has because it gives the best performance results for
>their
>java websphere webapplication.
>
>Regards,
>Andre

That's dead easy - 9i database with 9iAS. Throw out that websphere crap. ;)

No apologies needed, I was merely trying to put forward my viewpoint. Others are always free to disagree with me - and often do. ;)

>"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> schreef in bericht
>> "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> > The main thing that I try NOT to do (and I suspect the others have a
>> similar
>> > viewpoint) is to talk marketing speak. If we do something like that,
>> huess what
>> > would happen? You guys and gals would immediately say "They're from
>> Oracle.
>> > They're just trying to push Oracle rather than answer the question."
>> > We're trying to add technical value. We're not trying to sell you on
>> something.
>> > It's not that we don't have "the guts to promote Oracle9i more". 9i to
>me
>> is a
>> > great product that I don't believe our competition can match, but if I
>try
>> > sell that to you, it would be ignored. That's why I simply try to
>answer
>> > questions from a technical perspective. If that means people thing I
>lack
>> guts,
>> > so be it.
>>
>> rest assured you guys do add a very great deal of technical value. My
>> impression of the (at least active) posters to this set of NG is that
>there
>> is sufficient nous here to distinguish between marketing and valid
>technical
>> pros and cons. FWIW I also believe that Oracle is a great product,
>certainly
>> in advance of SQL which is your competitor I know best. (Of course a price
>> reduction would be nice<G>).
>>

>> --
>> Niall Litchfield
>> Oracle DBA
>> Audit Commission UK

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun Apr 28 2002 - 16:23:59 CDT