Re: Oracle Certification

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:20:44 GMT

"Sted Alana" <Sted_Alana_at_hotmail.com> wrote in news:3ccb859b$1_1_at_news.iprimus.com.au:

>> "m. fowler" wrote:
>> >
>> > Don Burleson already has, in this excellent article:
>> >
>> > http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_ocp_insider.htm
>> >

> Although a good article, it does not address my question. It simply
> concludes that a OCP certification may not be enough qualification to
> get a DBA job, as most employers want someone with a degree/masters in
> computer science/IT. My question is, if you already have a Master of IT
> would it be beneficial to also have a OCP cert or is that just
> overkill?
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I work for a company which had annual revenue of just over $400M for 2001. A person, regardless of credentials, would NEVER be hired as a DBA with less than 3 years previous DBA experience.

You do the math. We average just under $2,000,000 in sales per day. What does one hour of downtime cost the company?

My SWAG is that one hour of down time costs more than the DBA's annual salary. We simply can't afford mistakes due to learning curve.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Sun Apr 28 2002 - 16:20:44 CDT