Re: Problems getting oracle 8.0.5 to listen on HPUX

From: Patrick Mackeown <patrick_nospam__at_patmac.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:50:55 +0100

>I have symlinked /opt/Oracle to /oracle/8.0.5
>

>Which is, sorry to say so, almost invariably a *bad* idea
>
>You have 2 adresses for the IPC protocol, and the first has a hostname in
>it.
>Delete the first one and/or change it to the TCP protocol
>(protocol=tcp)(host=ns3.help-desk.co.uk)(port=1521)
>
>In the current situation you will be able to connect to the database *on
the
>server* only. You also need to setup a tnsnames.ora if you didn't already
do
>so.
>
>Hth
>
>--
>Sybrand Bakker
>Senior Oracle DBA

I changed the protocol and I had already setup tnsnames and run namesctl, but I was keen on setting up
the database ns3, so I did this quite a few times: Incidentally, the databases are so small, because it's
not a production database, this is at home for me to learn to set up an oracle database. I don't have any
room on these disks for a realistic setup.

Well, I don't know if I'm getting anywhere or not! I seem to be getting a repeat of
LRM-00110: file not found; arguments: [3] [REM], but infortunately oracle never seems to
tell me what file it can't find, it can obviously find the file /opt/Oracle/dbs/create/crdbDBFiles.sql;
because it then proceeds to run it! (and terminates with ORA-01034 oracle not available.

su - oracle
svrmgrl

SVRMGR> connect internal;
SVRMGR> @/opt/Oracle/dbs/create/crdbDBFiles.sql;
SVRMGR> REM * /opt/Oracle/dbs/create/crdbDBFiles.sql
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR> REM * Set terminal output and command echoing on; log output of this
script.
SVRMGR> REM *
SVRMGR> #set termout on
SVRMGR> #set echo on
SVRMGR> spool /opt/Oracle/dbs/create/crdbDBFiles.lst
SVRMGR> REM * Start the <sid> instance (ORACLE_SID here must be set to
<sid>).
SVRMGR> REM *
SVRMGR> connect internal
Message 20 not found; No message file for product=SVRMGR, facility=MGR SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile=/opt/Oracle/dbs/create/initDBFiles.ora LRM-00110: file not found; arguments: [3] [REM] Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-01078
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR> REM * Create the <dbname> database.
SVRMGR> REM * SYSTEM tablespace configuration guidelines:
SVRMGR> REM *   General-Purpose ORACLE RDBMS                5Mb
SVRMGR> REM *   Additional dictionary for applications  10-50Mb
SVRMGR> REM * Redo Log File configuration guidelines:
SVRMGR> REM *   Use 3+ redo log files to relieve ``cannot allocate new
log...'' waits.
SVRMGR> REM * Use ~100Kb per redo log file per connection to reduce checkpoints.
SVRMGR> REM *
SVRMGR> create database DBFiles
     2>     datafile
     3>         '/home/DBFiles/system01.dbf'    size   1m
     4>     logfile
     5>         group 1 ('/home/DBFiles/log01a.dbf',
     6>                 '/home/DBFiles/log01b.dbf') size 1m,
     7>         group 2 ('/home/DBFiles/log02a.dbf',
     8>                  '/home/DBFiles/log02b.dbf') size 1m,
     9>         group 3 ('/home/DBFiles/log03a.dbf',
    10>                  '/home/DBFiles/log03b.dbf') size 1m
    11>     maxinstances 1
    12>     maxlogfiles  16
    13>     maxdatafiles 50
    14>     character set "US7ASCII"
    15>     noarchivelog;

create database DBFiles
*
ORA-01034: Message 1034 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR> disconnect
Message 21 not found; No message file for product=SVRMGR, facility=MGR SVRMGR> spool off
SVRMGR> Here's the database creation script;

REM * /opt/Oracle/dbs/create/crdbDBFiles.sql

REM * Set terminal output and command echoing on; log output of this script. REM *
#set termout on
#set echo on
spool /opt/Oracle/dbs/create/crdbDBFiles.lst REM * Start the <sid> instance (ORACLE_SID here must be set to <sid>). REM *
connect internal
startup nomount pfile=/opt/Oracle/dbs/create/initDBFiles.ora

REM * Create the <dbname> database.
REM * SYSTEM tablespace configuration guidelines:
REM *   General-Purpose ORACLE RDBMS      5Mb
REM *   Additional dictionary for applications 10-50Mb
REM * Redo Log File configuration guidelines:
REM *   Use 3+ redo log files to relieve ``cannot allocate new log...''
waits.
REM * Use ~100Kb per redo log file per connection to reduce checkpoints. REM *
create database DBFiles

    datafile
 '/home/DBFiles/system01.dbf' size 1m

    logfile

 group 1 ('/home/DBFiles/log01a.dbf',
  '/home/DBFiles/log01b.dbf') size 1m,
 group 2 ('/home/DBFiles/log02a.dbf',

   '/home/DBFiles/log02b.dbf') size 1m,
 group 3 ('/home/DBFiles/log03a.dbf',
   '/home/DBFiles/log03b.dbf') size 1m
    maxinstances 1
    maxlogfiles 16
    maxdatafiles 50
    character set "US7ASCII"
    noarchivelog;

disconnect
spool off Received on Sun Apr 28 2002 - 10:50:55 CDT