Re: Oracle 8i or 9i ???

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:17:01 +0100

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:aaf34u01a28_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> The main thing that I try NOT to do (and I suspect the others have a
similar
> viewpoint) is to talk marketing speak. If we do something like that,
huess what
> would happen? You guys and gals would immediately say "They're from
Oracle.
> They're just trying to push Oracle rather than answer the question."
> We're trying to add technical value. We're not trying to sell you on
something.
> It's not that we don't have "the guts to promote Oracle9i more". 9i to me
is a
> great product that I don't believe our competition can match, but if I try
> sell that to you, it would be ignored. That's why I simply try to answer
> questions from a technical perspective. If that means people thing I lack
guts,
> so be it.

rest assured you guys do add a very great deal of technical value. My impression of the (at least active) posters to this set of NG is that there is sufficient nous here to distinguish between marketing and valid technical pros and cons. FWIW I also believe that Oracle is a great product, certainly in advance of SQL which is your competitor I know best. (Of course a price reduction would be nice<G>).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA