Re: Question about Undo segments

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:40:38 +1000

Undo segments are just rollback segments with a new name. Therefore, what was true for rollback segments remains true for undo segments.

Therefore, it's your server process that modifies undo buffers. They get flushed to disk as dirty buffers whenever DBWn takes it into its head to do any osrt of disk writing. The redo for them is the same as it is for any modification to any buffer: the before and after image.

In short, there's nothing magic about them -and if you know how rollback blocks are dealt with, that's how undo blocks are managed, too.

Regards