Re: you ass

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2002 13:55:53 -0700

In article <2DDy8.49413$Rw2.3883015_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "RSH" says...

>Paul, I hope that was sarcasm.
>
>People here are only human, despite rumors to the contrary.
>
>Another up and coming particular irritant are postings that just say:
>
>"Please help", and that's it.
>
>That one frays my nerves. And I KNOW (and have been SAYING), we are not born
>experts and we should be kind to the less fortunate and so forth. But a
>"Please help" means, diving into the message, finding out either it is
>totally incomprehensible muck, or else, say, the platform is based on a NASA
>specific port of XENIX that only runs on the computers in the Space
>Shuttles, and they're having trouble with the PL/SQL package
>'CONTROL_SHUTTLE_REMOTE_ARM' and they're getting a row not found error or
>something.
>
>That is not fair to us either. Messages titled like:
>
>Prob w/Raw I/O in 7.3.4 on Solaris
>
>would really help the people that know how to answer that, to get to it
>quicker, and not have to read every single posting in here.

Except of course that most people would leap in (if Sybrand didn't beat them to it) and say "That version hasn't been supported for donkey's years". ;)

>RSH.
>
>Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the story of the Good Samaritan and all about Jesus
>saying "As you treat the least of these..." and all, but sometimes in here I
>think even His patience would be tried, and I mean that with respect and not
>as sacrilige; after all, He had a few fits Himself over the years. Throwing
>out the moneylenders; too bad He wasn't able to go after the people at
>Oracle that create these unspeakably complex pricing models, because they
>ought to be next.
>
>'How much will all the licensing cost for these 4 various servers for blah,
>bluh, boo, and bink, for yadda users, and what will the annual CSI cost be,
>and what level should we get, and what discount factors for everything are
>we entitled to?'
>
>"Uh, um. Yeah. Well, I'll try to get some kind of answer for you, (not
>necessarily a right one) in a few days, I hope." (Trick: for budgeting,
>take the rough quick answer and multiply by 1.25. Much better than
>underbudgeting approval and then going through it all again." (Plus, then
>you can sneak money out to buy frivolus, indulgent things, like enough
>manuals for all your developers and DBA's, things like that.)
>

>"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message
>> "System Manager" <notanoradba_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes you! You, your reply post reads
>> >
>> > 'read the doc'
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > 'well I could tell you but do a search on google'
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > 'hire a consultant'
>> >
>> > yes, you know who you are - you feel so smug because you've learnt
>> > enough to be smug about, yet don't really want to share because you
>> > need a smugmans job.
>> >
>> > you assume that every poster is Oracly challenged and that every
>> > question is stupid by default.
>> >
>> > well here is news for you - Oracle is a freakin application and you
>> > don't need a degree and you don't need programming and you don't need
>> > to understand squat dodah in order to work it - follow the
>> > instructions and run the programs that you didn't write.
>> >
>> > so in the future shut the fccccckkkkk up and leave the replies for
>> > those that deserve their titles as an Oracle DBA.
>> >

>> Goodness me! What vitriol!
>> Against whom could this possibly be aimed?
>>
>> Paul Brewer
>> Senior DBA

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat Apr 27 2002 - 15:55:53 CDT