Re: Oracle 8i or 9i ???

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2002 13:53:50 -0700

In article <aaf22s$2p7$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl>, "Andre says...

>Daniel,
>how come that Oracle employees don't have the guts to promote Oracle9i more?
>I know there's some flaws (we had one in security) but Oracle development
>fixed
>that rapidly. I still believe that Oracle9i (ORACLE9I 9.0.1.3.1 + PATCH 2
>for windows)
>is the best choice for a production database, even though one should be
>critical
>about implementing what features. But if you stay on the conservative side
>(i.e. mostly 8i mode) you still get all the improvements in performance and
>scalability of 9i.
>
>My 2 cents..
>
>Andre van Winssen,

I can't answer for Howard, Tom and Rick, but I try to walk a very fine line in this newsgroup. If there are questions that arise that could use 9i functionality to address them, then I recommend that 9i functionality. That's always provided, of course, that I read enough of the question to realize 9i could help out - I don't read every posting in great detail. If there's a posting that specifically is asking about 9i, then I try to answer it if I can. Tom's area of specialization matches a lot of what I can't answer, which makes a good coverage overall. Rick specializes in the security area and seems to concentrate on that. Both Howard and I come from the DBA side, with my area of expertise being HA. Howard seems to specialize in just about eveyrthing. ;)

The main thing that I try NOT to do (and I suspect the others have a similar viewpoint) is to talk marketing speak. If we do something like that, huess what would happen? You guys and gals would immediately say "They're from Oracle. They're just trying to push Oracle rather than answer the question." We're trying to add technical value. We're not trying to sell you on something. It's not that we don't have "the guts to promote Oracle9i more". 9i to me is a great product that I don't believe our competition can match, but if I try to sell that to you, it would be ignored. That's why I simply try to answer questions from a technical perspective. If that means people thing I lack guts, so be it.

Pete

>"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> schreef in bericht
>> Samuel Tran wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > We are using an Oracle 8.1.6 on a Sun Solaris 2.6.
>> > We need to create a new database on a server for another business.
>However
>> > the new database will have the same schema as our running database and
>we
>> > may need to exchange information between these two databases.
>> >
>> > My question is the following :
>> > Should I install an ORacle 9i or stick to Oracle 8i ?
>> >
>> > I would appreciate any opinion.
>> > Many thanks.
>> > Scott
>>
>> I would recommend 8i. Right now it appears that 9i still has a few kinks
>that
>> need to be worked out.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat Apr 27 2002 - 15:53:50 CDT