migrating from oracle 7.3.3 to 8.1.7 question

From: michael.cooke <michael.cooke_at_tinyworld.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:15:02 +0100

Oracle 7.3.3 on NT4 sp6a to 8.1.7 on NT4 sp6a this is a 2fold operation moving 7.3.3 to a new server then in a few weeks time migrating to 8.1.7. I am testing the procedure at present and have both oracle versions on the same server in different home directories. The 7.3.3 dbase is up and running. I have tried a test migration using the gui migration tool in 8.1.7 and have a listener problem in tha it can't find it. my question is is there a step by step migration guide covering each item in turn and given that the dbase in question is only 4GB what sort of timescale would be usual for this migration as i believe that in simple terms it is the file pointers that are updated along with a number of internal datadictionary changes. p.s. I did an export from 7.3 to 8.1.7 which worked problem was it took about 6 hrs (I hope the migration is shorter.).

thanks for any help

Mick Received on Sat Apr 27 2002 - 14:15:02 CDT