Re: How to manage pl/sql source code

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:05:46 +0200

"pjb" <post_at_new.message> wrote in message news:bVxy8.820$06.109465_at_nasal.pacific.net.au...
> Can anyone suggest a low effort method of reliably building an application
> using pl/sql source stored in a code configuration tool (StarTeam).
>
> I want to use pl/sql on a project where all developers are working in
their
> own schemas and use configuration control to share code. I want them to be
> able to refresh their schemas from configuration control whenever they
like.
> As we are using extreme programming I expect this refresh cycle to occur
at
> least daily for each developer.
>
> My experience is with file oriented languages where I would refresh all of
> the source in my own file system workspace then use make to build a
system.
> But make generally works by comparing timestamps of source and object
files
> and there are no object files for pl/sql.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Phil

My experience is one schema, with a source control tool like Visual Source Safe (supported by Toad), where the developer checks out the procedure he works on, and checks in the new code once he is done, *does* work, and also wouldn't bring you in the synchronisation hassles you describe. Every developer his own schema occurs to me as one of the safest routes to hell.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA