Re: separate data/inidex

From: simon <onlysimon_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:59:17 +0000 (UTC)

On 21 Apr 2002 11:08:16 -0700, Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com> wrote:

>The theory behind putting index and data on separate devices goes like this:
>
>"you read the index, then you read the data. We'd like to leave the head
>positioned in the index structure just so -- so that the next read on it doesn't
>require head movement". (or something like that).

I don't think that is the case.

Separate DATA and INDEX tablespaces because of fragmentation and extent lifespan.

You could put these tablespaces on separate disks to spread disk I/O in a MULTI USER environment.

It would be even better to spread both tablespaces over different disks to spread disk I/O.

Simon (OCA) Received on Sat Apr 27 2002 - 07:59:17 CDT