Re: Oracle and SQL on the same server?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:29:42 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CC9AFFD.AE7F7FF1_at_exesolutions.com... >
> Other than performance you have no issues. Except sufficient RAM unless
for some
> reason I can't anticipate they have their code so poorly written they
stomp all
> over each other's memory structures.

I'd be worried about datafile location. In fact I'd want two different disk subsystems from controllers down. It is also worth remembering that SQL will try to grab all available ram at startup and give it back 'as needed'. I'd definitely set limits on how much ram sql can have. (and size the oracle sga appropriately as well of course.

You'd also want to make sure that the backup restore processes can *never* interfere with the other system - especially in a disaster when you aren't thinking straight.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA