Re: you ass

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:59:48 +1000

In article <Wdky8.52184$QC1.3770025_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, you said (and I quote):

> I am still waiting for a question like:
> snip

That one deserves framing! Thanks. :)

> I am not condoning chewing innocent people up into pieces and spitting them
> up; but I think nearly everyone must admit there is a differenve between
> "what type of screwdriver should I use on a worn bronze slotted wood screw",
> and, "Can someone explain what wood is, build my house, and paint and
> furnish it, do the wiring, the roofing, arrange the permits"?

Absolutely. What new people have to realize is that most of the folks who hang around here answering questions have done so for YEARS. Voluntarily. Without even a vague semblance of recognition from Oracle or any other "official" organization or group. In fact, quite the opposite has happened. It's only natural that every once in a while we see a "boiled top". And quite frankly: anyone in the Usenet that hasn't yet developed a thick skin is in for a BIG surprise.

> > manner we wish, because we want to. Any time you, or Larry want to write
> me a
> > check at my normal billing rate I'll be glad to behave like a trained
> monkey at
> > 1-800-SUP-PORT.
Precisely.

> > Until then perhaps people who use the internet will learn a bit of common
> > courtesy. You don't walk into a church and start selling tuperware. You
> don't
> > post tests in a forum like this ... you do it at alt.test. And if your
> skin is
> > so thin and you are so easily upset by someone saying RTFM to you that you
> have
> > to run for your Prozac ... likely you have other problems as well.

Hehehe! Took the words off my mouth. Try a sabbatical in one of the soc.culture.* or one of the many *.politics Usenet groups and they'll learn fast to get a thick skin. Then they can come back and not feel offended.

> > Once again, for the record, I will repeat ... you are correct that we
> could be
> > kinder and gentler. And I, for one, will try. I'll put happyface emoticons
> like
> > ;-) after all of my sarcastic remarks. And write RTM rather than RTFM so
> as not
> > to offend gentler souls.

I won't. I reckon RTFM carries the message in a much more efficient and clear manner. Agree with the thingies, though. :-D

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto