Re: Oracle and SQL on the same server?

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:32:54 -0600

"Phillip W." <phil_at_ripline.com> wrote in message news:U9fy8.453$cg1.723116_at_newshog.newsread.com...
> Daniel,
> More than performance, I'm worried about how well the two different
> databases would co-exist on the same server. Unfortunately, the
company is
> more concerned with price than performance. If it helps though...
>
> NT 4.0 SP6
> P3 933
> 256K Ram
> 5 Simultaneous users
> Guesstimate 25-50 transactions a minute

With five simultaneous users, it doesn't seem likely that there'd be 25-50 transactions per minute. Don't know if you have factored in 'think time' into that computation. The users that you cite, just so that I'm clear, you're saying that you may have, say, 50 users and of those 50, 5 may actually be pressing ENTER at the same time? It's possible to have 10% duty cycle but I would 'guess' that you might be closer to 3-5% ...

Personally, given the constraints that you're working with, what I'd do is stack as much RAM as possible on the machine (it's so cheap so who cares?? :) and do it. I don't see it being a big deal to have two different vendors on the same box when performance isn't an issue.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com