Re: when Oracle9i database supports J2EE 1.3 (or even 1.4)?

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:36:35 +0200

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:

> In article <3CC65D11.8010302_at_libero.it>, you said (and I quote):
> > But as far as I understood there is no strict link between OC4J and
> > 9iAS, apart from the fact that they are sold together. OC4J seems to me
> > a stand-alone product, independent from 9iAS (it includes its own
> > webserver that runs on port 8888 by default). At least in iAS release 1,
> > the only possible integration between Oracle HTTPD Server (Apache) and
> > OC4J is via mod_proxy. Am I wrong?
>
> As I understand it, OC4J can function standalone (replacing the
> functionality of a full blown AS) when it is used say as a test
> environment for JDeveloper.
>
> From that to calling it a standalone product goes a great leap, no? I
> mean, I wouldn't consider running even a small production system using
> OC4J as my AS. It's just not designed for that.
>
> I think we should not forget that OC4J stands for Oracle Container 4(for)
> Java. Or words to that effect.

OC4J is more than that, and is intended as a standalone product. OC4J 1.0 is basically Orion Application Server 1.5.2 <http://www.orionserver.com>, even the bugs are the same. Oracle bundles it with an HTTP Server (Apache, but with broken basic authentication on Win32), Portal, and a number of other things in iAS. As Cristian says, the HTTP Server and OC4J in 9i AS 1.0 are mostly connected via mod_proxy (not the best solution, but it works). This was the situation in 9i AS 1.0, as for OC4J 2.0, I can't judge it since I haven't yet had the time to look at it and to evaluate the new features.

Not only I'm running a production site on OC4J, I really hope that it gets even better so I can use it elsewhere: I find it extremely fast, robust, and not much resource-hungry. I'd be much happier if Oracle would drop from iAS bloatware such as Portal (and stop sending salespeople to promote it...)

Sebastiano Pilla Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 12:36:35 CDT