Why I too don't like the OCP

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:46:13 GMT

I just got done cleaning up a mess caused someone whose knowledge came from passing the OCP exam rather than having real experience.

Thought I'd pass this along as it may help others learn the ropes.

The task: Refresh data from a production database into a development database so developers can work with fresher data.

The issue: Some table's had struture changes (we would hope so) in the development database so they didn't match the tables in production.

The OCP's solution: Rename the existing tables in development. Export from production and import into development. Why rename? So the changes wouldn't be lost.

Can you guess what went wrong?

When the triggers, indexes, and named constraints from production came in they could not be created because objects with the same name existed on the tables that had been renamed.

Lesson: Knowing that you can not have two objects with the same name in a schema (undoubtedly a test question) does not mean that you can anticipate the implications of your actions. Only practical experience teaches that.

Jack Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 10:46:13 CDT