Re: RAW - Device on solaris8

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:11:54 GMT

Stephan Bressler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> never ever heard of or used control files on raw devices!
>
> What should be the benefit? Place them on a filesystem!

Well, a) there's nothing wrong with it, and b) if you're using OPS or RAC, it's actually *required* that your controlfiles (and redo logs, and datafiles) be raw (at least for most OS's - I hear there's some new clustered filesystems that may not have this requirement for RAC).

As for the orignial question, try using the "controlfile reuse" keyword in your create database statement. The database sees the softlink and thinks the controlfile already exists, so this should (hopefully) do the trick.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 10:11:54 CDT