Re: fine grain access control

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 18:58:46 -0700

In article <4e062d34.0204251220.68bec09a_at_posting.google.com>, orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com says...

>Thanks, I have found that doc. However, it only explains how to
>implement FGAC. I am looking for information on the impact to indexes,
>optimization etc...

did you see my posting on this?

in short -- there is none. FGAC simply lets you add a predicate.

If you write the query in sqlplus with that predicate -- and it performs poorly, it'll perform poorly at runtime. If it works great, it'll work great.

this is simply a replacement for the EXPLOSION of views you would get otherwise. The tuning process is not very much different. anything you would have done for the many views you would have created - you will do here. It simply centralizes the security for you.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/