Security issue with Oracle 8i

From: Pablo Gomez <pgomeza_at_adinet.com.uy>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 17:01:56 -0700

Hello:

   I have a question about security in an Oracle database. As I know when your Unix user belongs to the group "dba" gives you the privileges sysdba or sysoper. Thus you can startup, shutdown the instance (and other tasks). It also lets you connect via "connect / as sysdba" without doing any security check by Oracle than that you belong to the "dba" group. In this way your are connection as Oracle user "sys" and then you get access to all the database objects (tables, views, ...).

   So I think that the Unix administrator of the server can give any Unix user the group "dba" (including root) and then connect and get access to the database. In this way I don't see separate rights with the Unix administrator and the Oracle administrator.

   Is this ok? Can I deny access to the Unix administrator, so he must have an Oracle user the access the database?

   Thanks in advance,

   Pablo Gomez
   Twins Informatica
   Montevideo/Uruguay Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 19:01:56 CDT