Re: Developer Access to V$ Tables

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:32:13 GMT

Buck Turgidson wrote:

> I am wondering what level of access developers are typically given to
> tables such as V$SESSION, V$SQLAREA, etc?
>
> I currently have access now, and find these tables extremely useful for
> debugging and analyzing performance problems.
>
> Our management, wise as they are, want to remove our access.
>
> --

There is no such thing as typically.

I would consider any developer that didn't demand access to v_$session, v_$sqlarea, v_$mystat, etc. not worth much. Other DBAs freak when you ask for any privilege not present in CONNECT or RESOURCE.

Sounds like it is time to explain to your management that you can either get access and do a good job ... or keep things the way they are and ....

BTW: I consider another minimum requirement for developers to be able to kill their own sessions. And yet that too seems to be a rare privilege.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 17:32:13 CDT