Re: file placement and SAN

From: Chris Forbis <chrisforbis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 13:17:55 -0700

I admin a few database that run on some nice SAN equipment.

As long as the equipment is setup correctly you will have NO issues that a local file system would not have.

You need to make sure cache is turned OFF for writes. Otherwise you can not be 100% sure that redo made it to the disks in case of power loss. Some better equipment can help with this like the Compaq HSG80, this SAN array controller has mirrored cache with battry backups to help fight this problem.

Also note, most filesystems do not allow multiple systems using the same file system. NT is REAL bad about this. If you are going to use RAC or OPS with the san (like I do in one setup) you need to make sure to use RAW mode with Oracle. (And that can be so much fun :) )

Questions, just ask. Feel free to email, but make sure to post in group as well, I will only answer the post in the group, but I may miss it unless I get an email.

Chris

--Any information give by me might be my opion, please do not hold anything read here are direct fact, use information at your own risk. Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 15:17:55 CDT