Sql BackTrack vs RMAN

From: Lorri <llfett_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 12:33:54 -0700

Currently my company is using SQL BackTrack for Oracle backups & recoveries. Recently there has been questions about the cost of SQL BackTrack & in general would it save the company money to use RMAN instead. Has anyone switched from one to the other? If so, why & how did it go. Was it worth the cost or the savings depending on which way you went? From reviewing the RMAN documentation it looks like RMAN is command line -- it their a GUI interface? How easy is it to use? When a recovery is done in RMAN, does it expect that the archive logs are available or is that a manual process to restore these logs? How easy is it to "restore" databases from one box to another. It looks like RMAN allows me to have a central repository that keeps track of all backups that are done -- is this so? Does it really allow a DBA to review by instance all the backups that were done so one can decide which backup can be restored from? Please provide any general or specific knowledge that you may have with either of these two tools.

Thanks so very much
Lorri Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 14:33:54 CDT