Re: Distributed database with Oracle

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 10:24:50 -0700

In article <3cbeb300$0$198$4d4eb98e_at_read.news.fr.uu.net>, "fred" says...

>Hi,
>
>I need to have information about performance on Oracle database distributed
>on several servers in a cluster under windows and unix. I have to prove that
>a solution with this kinf of architecture is efficient. Did you experiment
>such experiences ? Have you some independant performance board to compare
>oracle performance under powerfull server against several smaller one. Or
>other information to show that a clustered database can be a good solution
>for the problem of big database with a lost users querying via an
>Application server (Websphere...).
>
>Thanks for your answer.
>
>Fred

You have a number of concepts merged together here, so I'm not sure what you're really talking about. You cannot have "a cluster under Windows and Unix". Clusters are only capable of being built today between machines that run the same OS, and even then it must be the same flavour of the same OS i.e. you cannot cluster an HP box with a Sun box. Also you use the term distributed when referring to a cluster. A distributed database is a database that is distributed between multiple machines that are not in a cluster usually.

If you can tell us what kind of architecture you're after, we may be able to answer the questions you have. It seems that you might be looking at clustering multiple small machines and comparing that to a single big machine, but I'm loathe to go into too much detail for an answer when I may be interpreting the question incorrectly.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 12:24:50 CDT