Re: more on ORA 03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Shayraz Ikram <shayraz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:00:02 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for making this thread even longer with the same problem.

I have been having exactly the problem described.

I have 8i and 9i installed on the same Mandrake 8.2 box. The Kernel params are set to the Oracle standard values. Furthermore I can create and run an instance in 9i no problem. It is only 8i thats a problem.

Using 8i, I set the ORACLE_SID to a certain value, say AAA. I then do

svrmgrl
connect internal

All is fine until I do a
startup nomount pfile = "blah blah"

and then it hangs indefinitely (I left it for 2 hours 20 mins). It takes 99% CPU as well. It does not create no any .dbf files. I had to kill it.

After this I was not able to do a svrmgrl again using the same ORACLE_SID, I kept getting a "ORA 03113: end-of-file on comm channel". The only way at the time was to completely reboot the box and then I could use svrmgrl again for the original SID once. After the crash again I could not run svrmgrl with that SID.

I used the suggestion below about the perms on $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle and now that little problem no longer exists. I can keep running svrmgrl again using the same SID, even after a crash (no more rebooting!).

But the main problem still remains. To test it I completely rebooted the machine and sourced the env file. I unsetenv the ORACLE_SID. I then did svrmgrl-connect internal. This was fine.

After this I typed "startup" without anything else. I was at least expecting an error message but it just hangs. It has to be killed from another terminal.

I am sure it cannot be memory or sem-values since they are the same I used previously on an older Linux/Oracle distribution. And I can run 9i databases fine.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about this.

Regards

Shayraz.