Re: remove system01.dbf file?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:19:05 GMT

Hey, Knut,

That wasn't meant as a slap against anybody, the querent or any of the respondents, including yourself.

It was just me saying how I reacted internally to the first few words of the question and somehow the words "remove" and "system tablespace" in close proximity to each other make me nervous.

And then I thought, well..okay, why, what's the root question, and all those reasonable things.

But I have to admit the first reaction was, "AIIGH!".

Having said THAT, I can say I have committed dreadful atrocities on purpose in the course of training my DBA teams. Like nulling the datafile corresponding to the SYSTEM tablespace on a live system, or devising evil means to randomly corrupt data, torturing an SGA to the point it would make UNIX begin paging out, and every other evil and horror I could think of.

But I do have to confess, the first time I did any of those things, I felt physically ill, even though I knew it was a dummy database and it was on purpose and wasn't hurting anything and I was doing all this so my kids could learn. It still made me feel a little sick.

I got over it when I saw how much fun my 'kids' had in figuring out what Evil Dr. Scott had cooked up for them that day, and was very proud of their diagnostic skills and how quickly they came to the point of accusing me of what the latest horror perpetrated was and how they would fix it.

Oh, but the first time... eeew. Damaging the SYSTEM tablespace deliberately? I kept looking over my shoulder for the FBI or somebody.

RSH/ "Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3CC7D5DD.2050005_at_mytoys.de...
> RSH wrote:
>
> > I have to admit, I had the "you must be kidding" reaction as well.
>

> I didn't make any further explanations because I thought that anyone who
asks if
> he can remove the system tablespace is either a troll (I am sorry for
that) or
> knows nothing about Oracle. If one doesn't know what the system tablespace
is
> he/she won't know what all those selects, PL/SQL things and so on are.
He/she