Re: Oracle Jargon

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:42:47 +0400

Well, it's quite far past April 1st, so you must be serious.... Let's get things clear:

  1. SQL is a language, not a tool. Standard Query Language.
  2. SQL*Plus is a tool, not a language. This tool is specific to Oracle RDBMS and can't be used with other database systems. It allows to work with Oracle in interactive mode, and it can process SQL scripts (see below).
  3. SQL*Loader is a tool used to load arbitrary data into the database by defining a set of rules to parse the input and put it into corresponding database tables, converting it to appropriate data types on the way in, and doing a lot of other things. Again, it is Oracle-specific. Other vendors usually provide their own tools with similar functionality for their dbms.
  4. PL/SQL is again a language, not a tool. Is Oracle-specific and is not available in other database management systems. Allows to create complex applications inside the database server and do things not possible using just SQL.
  5. .SQL files are not data files. Usually these files contain SQL scripts, that is, sequences of SQL statements to be processed by the database engine in a batch. SQL*Plus is one tool that runs such scripts (while there are many others).
  6. Of course, you can create files that hold tables, one file for one table, but then you need an efficient engine to retrieve data from these files, insert, update or delete data, create relations between different tables, etc. This engine is the heart of the database management system. Data itself is useless if you can't access and process it in efficient manner. How it is physically stored is unimportant and is taken care of by the dbms - dbms developers decide how to store data so that performance and reliability are maximized.

hth.