Record level permissions only for update

From: Antonios Christofides <A.Christofides_at_hydro.ntua.gr>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:14:47 +0000 (UTC)

Good morning,

I want different users to have different permissions on different rows of the same table. In old newsgroups messages I found that this is usually accomplished by adding a column to the table, e.g. with the username of the "owner" of the record, and creating a view which selects only the owner's records. Users have no permissions on the table, but they have on the view.

However, this method limits SELECT as well as UPDATE and DELETE. I want the user to be able to select all rows, but alter only a subset. How is that possible? UPDATE and DELETE triggers? Or is there any simpler way?

Thank you. Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 05:14:47 CDT