Re: Newbie : Oracle configuring Odbc Connection

From: Yasmine <y.leroux_at_nospam.actris.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:09:06 +0100

Sorry for by "newbie ness"

> How much use do you think it is to be told that "an" error message
mentions
> "service_name"? I can guess what error message you're getting, but I am
not
> (and I doubt few others would either) going to waste a lot of time giving
> you a lengthy answer for a problem that's been diagnosed from a guess.
> Oracle errors always have a number and a specific text string. Try quoting
> that in its entirety.

Here is the Error : (Translated from French messagebox)

ODBC Error : Connection Failed
[Microsoft] [ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle] ORA-12514 : TNS The listen Module cannot Resolve the SERVICE_NAME in the connexion descriptor {#12514) Failure SQLSetConnectATTR

> All I'd say at this stage is that you are making life incredibly
complicated
> for yourself by plunging into ODBC when you haven't already established
that
> basic Net8 is working perfectly normally. Get Net8 right first, and you'll
> find ODBC very easy.

I don't know what is NET8. My application just connect to any odbc database compliant to get Table name.

I work under Micro$oft Window$ NT and XP

Thanks Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 04:09:06 CDT