Re: select e rollback segment

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:52:30 +0100

Well if you have one particular problem statement it is highly likely that it can be tuned to be less resource hungry.( NB this may not be an easy task for those of us who cannot look at statements and visualize their ideal access plans). But no in general, and in my view, batch processes and reporting type tasks should run out of hours based on the business need first and impact on the system second. But there often are good reasons to run resource hungry statements during working hours. Then it is the DBAs task to ensure that sufficient resources are available to them , and of course the dba and developers task to minimise those requirements.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

"Epicentre Team B Annecy" <carmanet_at_epicentre.fr> wrote in message

> I understood that Knut had well answered the question, and I just wanted
> suggest
> Renato that, in this case, to increase the rollback segments size was a
> possibility, but
> was not always the good solution. Indeed, if the query plan shows a full
> (large) table
> scan, then the better solution is to execute this query when the database
is
> not too asked
> in rollback segments ressources... But I assume that is not always
possible!
> Are you agree with that?
>
> --
> Celine Armanet
> EPICENTRE
> carmanet_at_epicentre.fr
> Tel. : +33 04 50 09 7000
> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> a écrit dans le
> message news: 3cc6d351$0$231$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> > I hope you meant that the other way around. Either way this not what
Knut
> > actually said, he merely offered an explanation of why selects can read
> from
> > rollback segments - which does answer the question. The *right* answer
is
> > surely to increase the size of your rollback segments (and check the
> access
> > plan of the query).
> >

> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
> > Please include version and platform
> > and SQL where applicable
> > It makes life easier and increases the
> > likelihood of a good answer

> > "Epicentre Team B Annecy" <carmanet_at_epicentre.fr> wrote in message
> > > Hello Renato,
> > >
> > > Knut is right, so there are 2 ways to control this error, a good and a
> > > ''bad'' one:
> > >
> > > - the good way: executing large queries where your system is low
on
> > > activity; by this way,
> > > extents in your rollback segments will not be erased by other
> data.
> > > - the bad way: increasing your rollback segments. This is a quite
> bad
> > > way, as it will not solve
> > > your problem, but only delay it!
> > >
> > > HTH to solve the pb.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Celine.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Celine Armanet
> > > EPICENTRE
> > > carmanet_at_epicentre.fr
> > > Tel. : +33 04 50 09 7000
> > > "Renato" <rsimonetto.bis_at_NONFARMISPAMreplay.it> a écrit dans le
message
> > > news: aa6f6d$590$1_at_fe1.cs.interbusiness.it...
"snapshoot