Re: you ass

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:10:25 GMT

Katherine,

I have to object to the implications you make in your note.

Also, I assume you meant the phrase "in perpetuity", and not "in prosperity", in respect to archived records of this usenet group. Unless that was a Freudian slip, or some sort of unsubtle threat.

I do not believe that I myself have ever treated anyone here with other than respect, although you are perfectly free to search through the perpetual archives to show evidence otherwise. And oh yes, please, send them out as blackmail to potential future employers, at your convenience.

You will, upon such examination, discover that I never just say something like RTFM, but I cite specific Ms that should have been RTF'ed first, and usually give at least general advice without condescention or derogation. After all, at one time, though it is in the dim mists of time past when Stonehenge was being constructed, I was learning Oracle too. Of course, it was much more difficult in those days; just defining a join meant a bunch of lads having to tote around a few hundred tons of bluestone.

On the other hand, I can't think of a better representation of "materialized view"; persistence does have its virtures, and we didn't have to worry about tying up all that valuble SGA space; we just passed the data dictionary, structures, init.oras, constraints, and such, down through the Druids who were always so pesky bothering the DBAs and developers. Apparently one of our system designs re-emerged a few centuries later as the source of the Arthurian legends, though somewhat flawed in its retelling. On the other hand, when we had a crash, we really had a crash.

I am not so sure that I do not resent your message more than the one that started this whole thing. The "ramifications on your employment future" quite gagged me, and I think represents an attitude I do not care for very much.

Doubtless your interpersonal skills shine when you are functioning in your workplace, and this message of yours does not present a representative sample of your tact and empathy that you no doubt know are essential parts of a successful senior DBA's skill set.