Best practices for "RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE"

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:58:28 -0600

Folks -

I'm having a grand ol' time prototyping some standby databases, and I'm having good luck. One unknown element, however, remains and I'm a bit puzzled about how to deal with it.

When a DBA issues a "RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE" against a standby database to place it in managed mode in SQL*Plus, this command never, ever returns until an "alter database recover managed standby database cancel" is done via another session. That's expected behavior, I know. I'm curious about ways that you fine folks place a standby database into more-or-less permanent managed mode without keeping a console window always open.

I'm prototyping my stuff on a Win2000 box, although we might be on Linux for the real thing. On Linux, would you recommend writing a shell script,
run it in the background, and then log off the operating system? What if we do this in Win2000? If I execute the "recover..." command via an MS-DOS batch file, will the batch file continue to execute even if the OS
user logs off?

Could you fill me in on how you're turning on and off the managed recovery mode of your standby server? Any other sage advice?

Thanks so much,
Tom Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 18:58:28 CDT