Re: remove system01.dbf file?

From: Katherine <ktlang_at_prodigy.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:31:15 GMT

i'm suspecting that the Windows database was created by the wizard, which defaults just about everything to the system tablespace. Additionally, most Oracle tools during installation will default to the system tablespace as well.

your best solution is to reorganize or rebuild your database...but be certain you have a GOOD backup (ie test it!). by the way, you need to read about removing, altering the database, control and parameter files --- if not done correctly, making changes may destroy your instance and you'll end up rebuilding from scratch. ouch!

i think that the DBA HANDBOOK has a very good section on database design. You might want to peruse this first.

It might be possible to export by user, dump the database, rebuild the structure manually, and then import the users into their new tablespaces. You should also examine your temporary tablespace because i believe the default installers stuff everything into that also.