Re: Oracle Jargon

From: Katherine <ktlang_at_prodigy.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:11:43 GMT

not a dumb question at all - here's the history!

before oracle was a company, it was contract project for the CIA. later, larry ellison took over the project and created the company, Oracle.

as stated in the previous thread, oracle is a company that came up with the first rdbms (relational database management system) for mid-level to small companies on non-mainframe systems. They then added tools to get data in and out: SQL*Plus, Oracle Forms, Oracle ReportWriter, SQLLoader were the first.

In the early days, SQL 'standard query language' was originally intended as ASCII standard code, independent of operating system or rdbms. however over time the standards have been stretched and there are flavors of SQL. Microsoft's SQL, although similar, is different enough to need a conversion table.

SQL*Plus is Oracle's extension to the standard. It applies to only Oracle rdbms . However, Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus are operating system independent, meaning sql code written on Dynix should work on NT. PL/SQL (procedural language/SQL), Functions, Triggers, Constraints, Pro*C, Pro*Cobol, etc are all Oracle tools developed later in the evolution of the rdbms.

Later, Oracle added the Financials Applications. Then Oracle became heavily involved in the application development business, such as Clinical Trials, Utilities, Telecom, Data Warehouse, Conversion, etc. Since the applications were very difficult to implement and modify, Oracle Consulting was created and tried to compete with the 'big-5' consulting firms.

In addition to apps and tools, Oracle Designer (CASE, Designer/2000) was developed in England as a case (computer-aided system engineering) tool for database and application design with the intent of generating Oracle applications from the tool.

hope this helps -- probably a lot more than what you asked for :>)