Re: I only want to see five tables with an Oracle user ID?

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:04:04 +0100

"The Pig" <iamdakidd_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:81f0f183.0204231234.a0af3f3_at_posting.google.com...
> Guys,
>
> Need some help. When connecting via ODBC to an oracle server, I want
> to only see let's say five tables. That's it. I don't want to see
> the system tables associated with a default user, only certain tables.
> How do I do this. I have a Oracle DBA telling me that it can't be
> done but I know that it can. Any help would be appreciated. A
> detailed answer would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> The Pig

I'm a DBA, and I don't understand why you're being given such a hard time. AFAIK (and 9i bugs aside), you can only 'see' tables upon which you have the select privilege (reflected by the view ALL_TABLES). The trouble, I think, is that you actually *do* have the select privilege on these tables, via a 'grant select on *unwanted tables* to PUBLIC', which means that anyone can select from them. This privilege will apply irrespective of whether your connection is via ODBC or any other method; the access method is irrelevant.
Now here is the problem: To restrict your view to the five tables, the DBA would have to 'revoke select on *unwanted tables* from PUBLIC'. This may be impractical, as it could be, for example, that a mainstream application relies on this. That may be the reason your DBA says it 'can't be done'. This of course may not advance your cause very much, but at least it's an attempt to explain why.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 15:04:04 CDT