Re: How Is The Job Market for Oracle DBA's?

From: DB2 DBA <db2dba123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2002 09:35:04 -0700

If you have not heard of outsourcing IT work to India, then where have you been the last 10 years? Companies began to do this in the late 80s - early 90s.
There are also several VERY PROMINENT US companies that have moved their entire Help desk/customer service functions to India. My current client has outsourced their next generation, hot shot, "core business" system to India. I have looked at a little of the product. Good luck - every bad practice you could think of in designing pretty simple DB2 tables is present.
I truly cannot think of a major project outsourced to India which has been even moderately successful. That dosen't mean there arn't any, and I am coming from a mainframe perspective. Remember that IBM didn't even do business in India for over 20 years, so the Indian experience pool in IBM mainframe is pretty shallow. Talk about betting the future of your company!!!