Re: I only want to see five tables with an Oracle user ID?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:35:42 +1000

Er, no

What I hoped was obvious from my post was that *regardless* of what privileges a user has been granted, the ODBC dialogs always display every table that exists. So, pursuing my Access example (where Scott has privileges on 7 tables) I can successfully link a table in the CTXSYS schema. Only when I actually try to do anything with that table do I get the ODBC message "insufficient privileges".

So the problem is (again, I'm only assuming the original poster meant this) that the list of tables etc. is collated *before* any privileges or user-specific issues are checked on.

So I don't see that creating additional users is actually going to help resolve the issue. It has to be an ODBC call that you can make, but how *that* would help anyone using things like Access's linked tables dialog, I again have no idea.

But your thoughts were certainly more helpful than the earlier ones. So thank you.

Regards
HJR "Stan" <stan0074_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3CC63453.6060707_at_yahoo.com...
> Don't know whether this could help you or not, but just a thought. how
> about creating a user separate from actual appuser and then grant
> respective privileges(select/insert/update/delete) for those required
> tables that needs to be seen by the new user and have synonym created to
> hide its identity.
>
> Now, if the user attempts an ODBC connection to new user instead of
> appuser, then he'd only see the required tables.
>
> -Stan
>
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> > Yes, I see the usual suspects have been as forthcoming and as helpful as
> > ever.
> >
> > What I suspect the original poster was after was a way of preventing the
> > display of countless pointless tables whenever a user attempts an ODBC
> > connection to a database. For example, when I, as Scott, attempt to
create
> > a linked table in Access, the dialog window I use to accomplish that
task
> > includes a listing of some 2000 tables -practically every table that
exists
> > in my database, in fact. Yet this particular Scott was granted only
'create
> > table' and 'create session' privileges, so he should have seen (in my
> > particular case) 7 tables listed at most.
> >
> > So I think our original poster wanted to know if there was a way to
limit
> > the list of tables either to what the user actually has rights to or
(even
> > better) to a defined list of tables.
> >
> > Of course, that might not be what the original poster was after at all.
But
> > I still think he deserved better than what he got.
> >
> > As to an answer.... well, I don't know. It's bugged me for years, and I
know
> > of no easy way to stop it happening. There's certainly nothing obvious
in
> > the ODBC driver dialogs to suppress tables to which you don't have
access.
> > But perhaps there is someone out there who can give a useful answer to
the
> > original question, instead of a smug one, and then we can all learn
> > something.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "stinky" <stankonia_at_stunkitystunk.org> wrote in message

but