Re: Forcing no changes to SQLShared Area?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:04:37 +1000

> Hi Tom,
> do you know about any problems with
> cursor_sharing=similar or something like that in Oracle 9i ?

PMFJI....
> How does it work? I can't imagine how it's actualy done.
> The docs says it consults the statistics for a column, but changes a
> value to a bind variable. To what degree statistics are consulted?
> Histograms? ...

Yes, it consults histograms if there are any. And indexes and the statistics on those indexes to see about things like number of distinct keys and so on.

My not-terribly-strenuous testing of SIMILAR is that it makes reasonable choices as to whether or not to substitute a bind variable for a literal. It's really quite eery to watch it do its stuff.

Regards
HJR