Re: when Oracle9i database supports J2EE 1.3 (or even 1.4)?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 23 Apr 2002 20:01:34 -0700

etechweb_at_yahoo.com (Sebastiano Pilla) wrote in message news:<1fb49vl.1hbblazj24o1yN%etechweb_at_yahoo.com>...
> It's possible that you're thinking of BC4J (Business Components For
> Java), rather than of OC4J? I say that because I would define OC4J as an
> app server (and a nice one, btw!!), so the question of making it
> portable to other app servers doesn't make sense to me.

It's not what we define OC4J as. It may look like an app server, but it's also the EJB container service for 9iAS, as in the original text from Oracle:

> The 9.0.1 release will be the last database release to support this
> stack but customers are encouraged to migrate
> existing J2EE based applications running in the database to OC4J, the
> new J2EE container in Oracle9iAS, now."

That makes it the container, like it or not.

> If, on the other hand, you're meaning BC4J, then I would understand your
> concern.

BC4J is just a library. Or at best a framework containing a number of classes that can be used to build J2EE-based application. Ideally and if totally compliant to J2EE, it should be portable to any J2EE container in any app server. I've got my doubts it's at that stage. May get there, though.

Cheers
Nuno Souto Received on Tue Apr 23 2002 - 22:01:34 CDT